[mcclim-devel] Problem starting McClim

Michael McDonald mikemac at mikemac.com
Wed Mar 16 14:21:48 UTC 2011

On Mar 16, 2011, at 5:08 AM, Rudi Schlatte wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2011, at 4:39 , Michael McDonald wrote:
>

>> On Mar 15, 2011, at 4:35 AM, Bruce Seely wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I would like to use mcclim.
>>
>> Your DISPLAY environment variable isn't set up correctly. It's caused by the retards at Apple breaking 20 years of X compatibility so they can be "innovative". It needs to be something like ":0.0", not "tmp/launch-4lQnm8/org.x".
>

> FWIW, I do blame Apple for putting the listening unix domain socket for X at /tmp/launcbarblaa instead of /tmp/.X11-unix/X - in that case, things would have continued Just Working because clx's heuristics would have accidentally done the right thing.

So, they did break "20 years of X compatibility" then? And they had time to do this "innovation" but couldn't fix the "yellow cursor" problem for years? and then they broke drawing of Xaw borders in 10.6? Sorry, that puts them in the retard category in my book.

>> xhost +
>
> You forgot to advise Bruce about the consequences of this.

That's because I wasn't doing a complete tutorial on X, network security and personnel policy (mine's "If you abuse my X display or any other trust I place in you, I'll fire your sorry *** on the spot!"), I was just trying to get him pointed in a direction where he could get CLIM working.

And just for the record, I don't actually do 'xhost +' but since none of you have any need to know the names of my trusted internal machines and since I can't come down the hall and fire you if need be, I simplified the .xinitrc file.

And I hope Bruce already knows he should investigate and think about all advice he gets from the net, not just blindly follow what any group of yahoos tells him to do.

Mike McDonald
mikemac at mikemac.com