[mcclim-devel] Help running demos

Collin Day dcday137 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 01:08:52 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am rather new to lisp and have been learning by reading "Practical
Common Lisp" online and "Land of Lisp".  One thing I was just sort of
interested in was seeing how you could use lisp to make GUIs.  So, I
decided to try McCLIM.  Anyway, I use gentoo, so I just emerged mcclim
and have version 0.9.6.  I am using the clisp implementation and think
I have everything set up correctly.  Following the instructions on the
cliki, I can do the following:

(asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :mcclim) - ends with 0 errors, 74 warnings
NIL - so I think that is ok.

Since I am using gentoo, I didn't do the

ln -s mcclim/clim-examples.asd .

since I am just using the stock directories.

Then I can run:

(asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :clim-examples) - ends with 0 errors, 0 warnings
NIL - so that seems ok as well.

The problem is when I run:

(clim-demo::run-test 'clim-demo::demodemo)

I get:
*** - Connection failure to X11.0 server display 0:
      No protocol specified

I have clx installed - I also ran (asdf:oos
'asdf:load-op :clx) to ensure everything was built.

If I build / load the gtkairo backend:

  (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :clim-gtkairo)

Then the demos appear to run.

I am sure I am doing something wrong - does anyone know what it might
be though?

Thanks!

-C