[mcclim-devel] CLX backend or OpenGL backend with ClozureCL on OS X (also posted on c.l.l)

Frank Gönninger frank.goenninger at consequor.de
Mon Dec 27 15:45:04 UTC 2010

Am 27.12.2010 um 16:47 schrieb <rm at tuxteam.de>:

> I'd say it's a missunderstanding: CLIM is an abstract user interface API
> that can (and does) run on different backends (X/Gtk/Genera/Windows/MAc
> Toolbox ...).

I think I got that clear after reading the intro material to CLIM. It wasn't obvious to me that after loading CLX and defining CLX as the backend I still missed a package: "CLIM-CLX".

> Clim for shure does need _one_ backend loaded to be
> operable, but how to express this in ASDF?

No need to IMO.

> Maybe (find-port ...)
> should throw an error for an unloaded backend?

Yes!

An exception stating "You specified CLX as the backend for CLIM. The necessary package, "CLIM-CLX", has not been loaded." would help really. Similar ones for the other backends, too, of course ;-)

> Looking at mcclim's code for find-port, blindly funcalling the return
> value of  (get (first server-path) :server-path-parser) looks like an
> error to me.

Yep.

>> Where's the best place to document this so it doesn't bite someone
>> else in the future?
>>
>> (cliki seems like the most obvious to me, but what do I know?)
>
> McClim's Wiki?

Yep! Because that's where I started out my CLIM odyssey.

Thanks again!

Best wishes

   Frank