[mcclim-devel] A few questions

Žiga Lenarčič ziga.lenarcic at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 15:32:28 UTC 2009

Hi McCLIM developers!

I have a few questions, in no particular order:

* I've started 'theming' McCLIM to give it a more modern look (a
darker look).. I've started with /Looks/pixie.lisp and went from
there. Is pixie.lisp an example of 'correct' skinning process -
effectively creating new classes with overridden methods for various
things or is it better to just redefine the handle-redraw methods of
original gadgets and be done with it? Pixie has a problem for
instance - mouse wheel scrolling doesn't work, because it
reimplements scrolling logic implemented in gadgets.lisp or somewhere
else. Wouldn't it be more correct to use the 'default' logic and only
redefine handle-repaint methods, if change in functionality isn't
needed?

* what is the correct way to add my own widgets? I assume I should
look at gadgets.lisp and start from there. Are new widgets welcome in
the main McCLIM source tree or is McCLIM closely following some CLIM
specification and doesn't want to go beyond that?

* I'm using CLX backend and default/freetype/truetype font
renedering. I've noticed that with default X11 font rendering, the
usual textstyle (sans-serif, roman) is much more readable at
size :small, than :normal. For antialiased fonts, :normal works
great. Perhaps the default fontsize should be :small (or mcclim's clx
default font render should just interpret :normal as :small) - clim-
examples applications would look nicer out of the box and I wouldn't
need to write cases in my app (if ''freetype'' :normal :small) to
make stuff look nice. I think this has been mentioned before..

* right now McCLIMs 'textfield' is vastly different from text fields
in other toolkits. I think we could conform better if the caret was
just a line (not a block), if the caret blinked properly, if there
was caret positioning via mouse click and if there was selection
possible. I don't know how other McCLIM users feel about this - but
if I added these features, would they be added to McCLIM? Would it be
better to add a new 'gadget' for this 'modern' text field stuff?

Regards,
Ziga