[mcclim-devel] McClim up and running

christopher melen chris_melen at yahoo.com
Sat May 17 22:58:22 UTC 2008

> It's no surprise that SBCL works best - it's what
most McCLIM hackers
> use. Also, it has good performance and implements
CLOS well, which is
> important to McCLIM. Clozure CL is also supposed to
be good, so I'd be
> interested in hearing the specifics of the error you
got (backtrace?).

With Clozure CL the only command that works in the
listener's Filesystem menu is 'Up Directory';
everything else gives me this -

Error: value PATHNAME is not of the expected type
LIST.
While executing: CCL::FRAME-SUPPLIED-ARGS, in process
repl-thread.

> You can set the environment variable for Emacs (M-x
setenv)...

I'd tried that, but it still errored, asking if I
wanted to use the local unix display.

> It is normal for McCLIM apps to be slightly sluggish
at first, because
> the CLOS caches need to be filled the first time
generic functions are
> called. Successive invocations of the program should
start up
> faster. A pause of an entire minute is highly
unusual, however. Which
> version of SBCL is that?

When I run it with Clozure CL there's no delay at all.
Only with SBCL. I'm running version 1.0.2.

> How does it hang? Does it take up all available CPU
time or block?
> McCLIM works on CLISP on Unix, so the implementation
itself should > not be a problem.

Yes, CPU on the Windows machine is 100% at that point.
I'll have a go on my laptop, which runs Vista, see if
that's any better.

Thanks,
Chris