[mcclim-devel] McClim up and running

Rudi Schlatte rudi at constantly.at
Sat May 17 17:25:37 UTC 2008

On 17.05.2008, at 19:07, Troels Henriksen wrote:

> christopher melen <chris_melen at yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>> 2. I have to run it with Apple's X11 - which is not a problem for
>> me, as I use it frequently, but I was wondering if anyone's got it
>> running without it. I had to set the DISPLAY environment variable in
>> my .bash_profile to 127.0.0.1:0.0. So I have to run it from the
>> terminal or an xterm, not from Emacs Slime (my preferred set-up).
>
> You can set the environment variable for Emacs (M-x setenv) if you
> want, but anyway, McCLIM is theoretically able to run under Clozure
> CL/OpenMCL with the Beagle backend, which uses Cocoa. It's not as
> complete as the CLX backend, though.

For "not as complete", read "will crash if you look at it funny"; the
beagle backend needs lots of tender loving care by someone who knows
cocoa.  If you want to see it in action anyway, (push :clim-beagle
*features*) before loading mcclim, then load clim-examples, call (clim-
demo::demodemo) and enjoy the pretty Aqua-ish buttons.  You can also
get a clim-listener window or start the Climacs editor; just don't
expect anything to not crash.

> I hear Apples X11 server is odd in some ways, which can affect McCLIM,
> but I do not know the specifics.

http://paste.lisp.org/display/60199 has a patch that teaches clx/sbcl
the appropriate X11-on-Leopard-autostartish magic so you don't need to
set DISPLAY.  I don't know of any other problems with Apple's X11
server.

Cheers,

Rudi