[mcclim-devel] McCLIM 2.0 in 2008

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at real-time.com
Wed Jan 16 13:33:46 UTC 2008

Troels Henriksen wrote:
> Rainer Joswig <joswig at lisp.de> writes:
>
>> I think one also should look whether the implemented facilities are
>> usable (look and feel also) and correctly drawn.
>
> While look & feel is obviously important for a GUI programming
> toolkit, I think the focus for a 2.0 release should be on spec
> compliance, with look & feel being a secondary goal to be worked on
> once it's clear that a full spec implementation has been reached (or
> is close).
>
>> Are the implemented gadgets working?
>>
>> How about menus, choices, accepting values dialogs, etc?
>>
>> Is incremental updating working?
>
> These are all instances of "do we implement the spec?" (The answer is
> no for some of those.) I've heard that incremental output, as
> described in the spec, is not feasible to implement, does anyone have
> knowledge about that? Otherwise, my experience is that it works pretty
> well.

Does accepting-values and input editing work now?  The last time I
checked, it didn't work for commands that took multiple arguments.  If I
remember correctly, when I changed only one value from the default, it
looked like McCLIM would cycle through all of the other fields, and I
could never get the process to terminate correctly.  I encountered this
building a GUI for a program that takes a very large number of keyword
arguments to tailor its behavior.  I will try to test this again, but
fear that because of other commitments, won't be able to do it until
after the end of January.  Does anyone else have a McCLIM program with
commands with several arguments?

I will try to see if I still have a copy of a program that used this ---
I may have ripped it all out and done some messy kludge of n commands to
replace it....