[mcclim-devel] Image-reading in McCLIM

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Sat Jan 5 22:17:35 UTC 2008

Quoting Troels Henriksen (athas at sigkill.dk):
> To rectify this, I think we should bundle some simple library with

Good idea.

I wonder whether that library could be external to McCLIM, so that other
applications could also use it.  As long as it just returns arrays of
colors in the format CLIM wants, it would plug right into our image
drawing routines and still not have to depend on CLIM internals itself.

> McCLIM for converting image files to CLIM patterns, just like
> CLIM-INTERNALS::XPM-PARSE-FILE does.

The indexed pattern code would be used for images with a palette, like
GIF and XPM.

> (I see something called rgb-image.lisp in mcclim/Extensions, what is
> it used for?)

That's the second image format we would want to support, for 24 bit RGB
colors (plus alpha channel), originally from Closure.

RGB-IMAGE is the right class to return when parsing JPEG or one of the
formats that might or might not have a palette (PNG, BMP).

The format-specific image library could just return the (unsigned-byte
32) array as needed for RGB-IMAGE, with the latter being wrapped around
it by CLIM code.

d.