[mcclim-devel] The new Drei redisplay engine

Troels Henriksen athas at sigkill.dk
Thu Jan 3 13:29:50 UTC 2008

Pretty much since the beginning, Climacs redisplay has been quite
slow, and this trait was unfortunately ported over when Drei was
created. Over the last few days I've been committing my work on a new
redisplay engine, one that is much faster and more powerful than the
old one.

The old redisplay engine was never much of an actual engine, every
syntax had to implement its own redisplay code from the bottom up, and
these syntaxes just walked across their parse tree, calling CLIM
drawing functions and using incremental output for
performance. Sometimes, they would call a function (the infamous
`handle-whitespace') to move the cursor as demanded by newlines or
space characters, and at various points ugly kludges were added to
this function to try to record at least a little of the display
structure, such as where lines started and ended on the screen. But in
general, everything was pretty much a jungle, and it wasn't all that
fast, partially because McCLIM implementation of incremental-redisplay
is admittedly not optimal, and partially because I severely doubt CLIM
incremental-redisplay is even meant to be used for the kind of
real-time performance needed in an editor.

The new redisplay engine was developed based on a key assumption:
output records are nice, flexible and useful, but they are too slow
and heavy. Hence, the new redisplay engine does not use output
records, except for handling cursors and some other exotic
cases. Instead, it divides the visible region of the buffer into
"strokes". A stroke is a buffer region that can be drawn in a single
operation with a single set of drawing options, and that does not
cross lines. Put another way, a stroke is a sequence of characters in
a line with the same colour and font (strokes can also cover
non-characters, but let's ignore that for now). The new redisplay
algorithm thus works by fetching strokes from the buffer, starting at
the top of the display, and drawing them to the screen until we reach
either the end of the buffer or the bottom of the visible part of the
output sheet. When strokes are drawn, we remember the location and
size of their output.

Due to the constraint that strokes cannot cross lines, we can
trivially organise strokes into lines and just check for whether a
stroke directly precedes a #\Newline character to figure out when we
should go to the next line, and when we do this, look at the strokes
of the line and figure out the dimension of the line.

Stroke objects are kept across display, and are mutated by the stroke
pump (see below), so we can easily check whether a stroke has changed
(we mark it as "dirty" and "modified") since the last redisplay,
simply by having the pump check whether it is going store
already-existing data in the stroke object. If a stroke is obscured
for some reason (for example due to a moving window, or part of the
cursor being drawn over it), we also mark it as dirty. Taken together,
this gives us incremental redisplay.

The interesting problem is now how to generate strokes for the
redisplay engine. This is done through two generic functions,
`pump-state-for-offset' and `stroke-pump', that are used to "pump"
stroke data into an already existing stroke object. This is both to
implement incremental redisplay, as mentioned above, and to avoid
consing (if you read the code, you'll notice that I've been obsessed
with minimising consing in general, perhaps this was not always
necessary). For the most common case, these functions just relay to
the syntax of the view, which results in either the simple stroke
pumping defined in fundamental-syntax.lisp, or the terrifying horrors
of lr-syntax.lisp. There is nothing special about stroke pumping,
except that it has to be really fast as it is done in full for every
redisplay. All the clever caching and "only handle that which has
actually changed"-stuff is done at the higher level by looking at the
dirtiness of strokes, and at the lower level by the incremental syntax
parsers. The stroke pump just has to be fast (and fortunately, it is
for the most part). When the view is a pure buffer-view (that is, has
no syntax) there is a simple pump defined in drei-redisplay.lisp that
just turns each line into a stroke (possibly chopping it up if it's
very long), it's not fast, but it's simple, and you can look at it to
get a general idea of how it works.

The major performance issue right now is that a stroke is only
considered unmodified when neither its drawing-options (colours, etc)
nor its start/end-offsets have been modified. This is suboptimal,
because the offsets of subsequent strokes will change when you insert
or remove something from a buffer, so every time you insert a
character, the buffer from point till the end of the display will be
redrawn, while it is most likely not strictly necessary for anything
but the current line (unless you significantly modified the syntax
parse tree by your change, of course).

Anyway, the new engine is not horribly buggy, though it is obviously
new and untested, and it's quite fast on my machine. Not Emacs-speed,
but significantly faster than the old one, and significantly easier to
optimise further.

Oh yeah, and a final note: implemented and tested with
McCLIM-Freetype, has bugs without Freetype, and has never been run on
a non-CLX backend.

--
\  Troels
/\ Henriksen