[mcclim-devel] Listener menus

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cantab.net
Thu Jan 4 09:19:04 UTC 2007

"Andy Hefner" <ahefner at gmail.com> writes:

>> > Is it possible to simply define a menu-item-to-command translator with
>> > a higher priority which would override the translator currently
>> > stealing the menu-item?
>>
>> I think that this isn't necessary, and that my last patch is the Right
>> Thing as well as actually working.
>
> By virtue of simplicity, your patch wins.

Okay, I've committed it.

> However, I wonder if
> defining such a translator means that we can rip out the toplevel
> magic about creating an input-context for menu items. Along those same
> lines, maybe we ought to just present them as commands, so they are
> directly applicable. It doesn't seem useful presenting anything as a
> menu item (unless you are writing an editor for menus), except perhaps
> as a way to control the highlighting style, and in that case it
> wouldn't be the innermost presentation anyway.

I think that menu-items by default should probably not translate to
commands.  Why?  Because I think that it's legitimate for an
application to do (accept 'command) when not planning to run it
immediately (maybe to batch it up, to send to a remote process, or
something); under those circumstances, I would expect selecting
something from the application's menu bar not to fulfil this accept
but instead to run its own command directly.

It might make sense for individual applications to specify that they
would prefer their menu items to be presented as commands; I don't
know whether the CLIM spec documents any way of achieving that.

Cheers,

Christophe