[mcclim-devel] getting started...

Peter Scott sketerpot at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 06:50:24 UTC 2007

On 2/21/07, Perry E. Metzger <perry at piermont.com> wrote:
> Pardon the utterly naive newbie question, but I'm brand new to
> McClim, have never used ASDF (and barely understand what it is),
> etc.

Welcome!

> Say I want to get from zero (not even an installed Common Lisp) to
> running a McClim demo on my machine (running Ubuntu Linux) in short
> order. What do I need to do to get there?

First, install the SBCL lisp compiler. Ubuntu has a package called
"sbcl", and you can install it either through the package manager or
with the command "sudo apt-get install sbcl".

Second, you would be well advised to install emacs and SLIME if you
don't have them already. Both are available in the Ubuntu package
repository, so you can install them the same way you installed SBCL.

Next, you'll need to download McCLIM and set it up. The easist way for
you to do this would probably be to open SBCL and enter the following
lines of Lisp code:

(require :asdf-install)
(asdf-install:install :mcclim)

When it asks you for the installation location, type "2" to install it
in "~/.sbcl". You will probably get some message about PGP keys; type
":c 0" to dismiss the warning and continue anyway.

This will install McCLIM on your system, along with the necessary
dependencies. When you want to get a demo running, here's some Lisp
code that should do it:

(require :mcclim)
(require :clouseau)
(clouseau:inspector #'length)

This will bring up the inspector, inspecting the function LENGTH. It
can inspect other things, too, so go ahead and play around with it.
Instructions for the other demos can be found in
"~/.sbcl/site/mcclim-0.9.4/INSTALL".

Good luck!

-Peter