[mcclim-devel] Creation of a library of presentation type definitions

Troels Henriksen athas at sigkill.dk
Wed Sep 13 07:35:54 UTC 2006

When hacking on CLIM applications, it often/always becomes necessary
to define new presentation types - some of these are very specialized
to the application, while others are very general concepts (such as
URLs). Having to reimplement these presentation types in every
application is pointless and impairs application integration (not very
much right now, since McCLIM doesn't support input contexts across
multiple frames).

Therefore, I propose the creation of a portable library of
general-purpose presentation type definitions containing definitions
of widely useful presentations such as `url' or `package', and
whatever else is not too specialized to specific applications. I think
this library should be bundled with McCLIM, yet not be dependent on
the of McCLIM as the underlying CLIM implementation, because most
users of free CLIM applications will be using McCLIM already, and
bundling the library with McCLIM will free them from having to hunt
down new dependencies.

What do you think?

--
\  Troels "Athas"