[mcclim-devel] Does toward-x key in draw-text* work in McCLIM?

Daniel Katz dpkatz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 12:13:27 UTC 2006

Hi,

I was looking at the CLIM spec and noticed that draw-text* exposes
the possibility of changing the direction of the text drawn (e.g.,
having the text go right-to-left or top-to-bottom), but I don't seem
to be able to get it to work in McCLIM (latest CVS running with CLX
against the Mac OS X X11.app system).  In detail, I tried the
following code (modified slightly from the "hello world" example from
the "Guided Tour" paper:

(define-application-frame hello-world ()
   ((greeting :initform "Hello World"
	     :accessor greeting))
   (:pane (make-pane 'hello-world-pane)))

(defclass hello-world-pane (clim-stream-pane)
   ())

(defmethod handle-repaint ((pane hello-world-pane) region)
   (let ((w (bounding-rectangle-width pane))
	(h (bounding-rectangle-height pane)))
     ;; Blank the pane out
     (draw-rectangle* pane 0 0 w h
		     :filled t
		     :ink (pane-background pane))
     ;; Draw greeting in center of pane
     (draw-text* pane
		(greeting *application-frame*)
		(floor w 2) (floor h 2)
   		:toward-x 0)))       ; I expect to get "dlroW olleH"

(defun make-and-run-hello-world ()
   (run-frame-top-level
    (make-application-frame 'hello-world :height 300 :width 300)))

and given the "toward-x" key given in the call to draw-text* (in
handle-repaint), I'd expect to get a window with "dlroW olleH"
printed; instead, I still get "Hello World".  I tried a few other
values for the toward-x key (e.g. (1- (floor w 2)), 1, -1), but saw no
difference.

Grepping through the McCLIM source, I find that "toward-x" is mostly
ignore'd in the various back ends (e.g., Backends/CLX/medium.lisp), so
I am taking that as an indication that this functionality is not yet
implemented.  Is this correct?  Or am I just using the facility
incorrectly?

I'm sorry if this is a FAQ, but I looked at the "known bugs" page at
http://mcclim.cliki.net/Bug, but didn't see anything there about
draw-text* or its features...

Thanks!

Dan