[mcclim-devel] another CLC fix: clim-listener

Clemens Fruhwirth clemens at endorphin.org
Wed Mar 15 07:32:04 UTC 2006

Another CLC fix:

*load-truename* is assumed to point to the source directory that also
contains the icons/ directory. In CLC, this isn't the case as all
fasl are loaded from /var/cache/common-lisp-controller/.

I changed Apps/Listener/package.lisp to also probe in
#.*compile-file-truename*, that most likely point to a directory
containing the icons too.

The problem is that I used cl-fad for directory probing. I personally
don't mind to have mcclim use cl-fad, as I have it installed anyway and
it's pretty lightweight, but on the other hand that might not be true
for the mcclim project as a whole, especially as it needs only a single
function.

The CLC way of doing things seems a good idea first, but needs to be
improved. Probably, CLC should introduce a new asdf class, for instance
"auxilary". All files/directories that are tagged as auxilary are
symlinked in /var/cache/common-lisp-controller to the original
sources. So in the code, we don't have to give up the assumption that
*load-truename* contains stuff from the distribution tarball.

Or probably CLC shouldn't wait for ":auxilary" and create a mirror of
all files in /usr/share/common-lisp/source per default via
symlinks. This doesn't seem too costly. Especially when we create
symlinks for directories and only when we need to add content these
symlinked /var/cache/common-lisp-controller subdirectories turn them
into real directories after filling them with the respective
symlinks. Kind of lazy symlinking. But err, I'm starting to get
off-topic.

Here is the patch. If the list objects cl-fad, I'd suggest to copy
the respective ~15 lines of code from cl-fad.