[mcclim-devel] Re: Freetype and CFFI

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Fri Dec 8 10:59:20 UTC 2006

Brian Mastenbrook <brian at mastenbrook.net> writes:

> Making the compiler happy wrt %SAP-ALIEN was not trivial, and if
> there's anything I would be worried about in the CFFI version, it's
> that somewhere one of those optimizations is not implemented. If it's
> usably fast, I guess everything is OK. Not having used CFFI, I don't
> know if SBCL will still warn about these as profusely as it does when
> using good ol' SB-ALIEN.

I don't think that should be a worry: AFAIK CFFI uses plain SAPs all the
time, making it oftentimes faster then SB-ALIEN. (The downside of this
approach is losing the type-safety SB-ALIEN provides).

...or that is my impression, but I'm not awfully familiar with CFFI.

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus              Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."
                   Lispnik: "Buddha is big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."