[mcclim-devel] Severe performance regression with latest CVS sources?

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Apr 16 11:56:18 UTC 2006

Paolo Amoroso <amoroso at mclink.it> writes:

>> I get as less as 0.83 s with 2006-04-08.
>
> Less than 0.9 s with 2006-04-10.  I think there is enough information
> to identify the relevant changes.  Do you need more tests?

Well, now we do know what the change was.  I can't honestly see why it
should slow everything down so much, though; could you profile the
CLIMI package and post the top few results?  A statistical profile
would also be useful if you could get one.

(I wonder if the problem is as simple as creating two hash tables per
node... surely that can't be such a bottleneck.  Could you also find
out how many nodes there are in your graph, and time the creation of
twice that many hash tables with (make-hash-table)?  The other thing
to look at is for collisions in your hash tables; check the EDGES-FROM
slot of something with a lot of direct subclasses, say STRUCTURE-CLASS
or CONDITION or NUMBER, and see if all of the entries are in the same
bucket of the hash table)

Cheers,

Christophe