[mcclim-devel] compose-space question

rpgoldman at sift.info rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu May 19 22:49:00 UTC 2005

    DR> On Thursday, May 19, 2005, at 10:57  pm, Robert P. Goldman wrote:

    >> I have been finding that my application-panes look to be off in width
    >> by the width of their scroll-bars.  When I look at the COMPOSE-SPACE
    >> definitions (these are a little overwhelming for a novice like me) it
    >> looks like the effective method for compose-space for an
    >> application-pane is this one:

[...snip...]

    DR> I don't think stream panes should know anything about scroll
    DR> bars; these belong to the scroller pane rather than the stream
    DR> pane I think (i.e. the stream pane doesn't want to ask for
    DR> more space to account for scroll bars, rather the scroller
    DR> pane should add space for bars to the space requirement of the
    DR> stream pane on its behalf).

    DR> That said I tend to find my ideas of what's what are often
    DR> incorrect ;-)

I don't exactly understand.  All I know is that my application panes
are clipped to the right in a way that really suggests to me that
McCLIM is trying to display an area w wide, and that it's computing
the w based on the width of the output record, and then it's display w
starting from the outside of the scroller-pane, so that what is
displayed is actually w - (width scroller-pane).

This was the best guess I had for how to fix it.  :-(

Maybe this lives in the incremental redisplay protocol, rather than
the space requirement protocol.

I'm still bamboozled by the fact that adding incremental redisplay to
my APPLICATION pane badly gaffed the rendering of my INTERACTOR pane,
whose definition changed not a whit...

Anyone else have any clues?

Thanks,

Robert P. Goldman
Senior Scientist
Smart Information Flow Technologies (d/b/a SIFT, LLC)

211 N. First St., Suite 300
Minneapolis, MN 55401

Voice:	(612) 384-3454
SIFT offices:  (612) 339-7438