[mcclim-devel] Copying text to clipboard loops displaying messages to Konsole

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 22 12:49:04 UTC 2005

Paolo Amoroso <amoroso at mclink.it> writes:

> Christophe Rhodes <csr21 at cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Hi, Paolo.
>>
>> Could you try pasting with Klipper enabled and with the attached
>> patch?  (I spent some time with the ICCCM, and some more time
>
> Sure.  Now, when I copy from the CLIM Listener and paste to a Konsole
> pane, the text is pasted correctly, and a stream of messages like the
> ones included below are displayed until I quit the listener.
>
> My current setup is: CMUCL Snapshot 2005-03, latest McCLIM CVS sources
> with your patch applied.

Right.  Reading around the web indicates that Klipper is not
completely alone in its strategy of polling the selection owner for
the timestamp of its selection ownership to see if anything has
changed.

I've therefore committed more-or-less what I sent, along with
something which disables logging these events to the console.  I hope
that I haven't broken anything in the process.

In the meantime, here are some things which don't currently work (they
didn't before the patch either):

  * pasting high-latin characters into the listener.  (pasting them
    out from the listener is fine).  This is possibly because the
    paste is implemented in terms of generating key-press-events -- is
    there a mismatch somewhere between what is a key press and what is
    a character?

  * selecting user-typed input to the listener.  I think this is
    because such user-typed input has no associated output records;
    getting this right might be tricky.

  * (relatedly) pasting from Climacs doesn't work as expected, because
    Space and Tab characters in the buffer don't get associated output
    records.  Presumably what needs to happen here is that Climacs
    needs to implement its own methods for these protocol functions.

Cheers,

Christophe