[mcclim-devel] incremental redisplay and with-first-quadrant-coordinates

Rainer Joswig joswig at lisp.de
Thu Jun 30 13:03:27 UTC 2005

There was always supposed to be an additional low-level documentation of
CLIM. It never happened. The first versions of CLIM (1.0) also were never
as extensible and never had some of these layers (Silica). Much of the
extensibility and the UI adaption have been added for CLIM 2.0. Xerox had
worked on ist own version of the CLIM implementation and developed the
Silica layer. Silica then was added for the joint CLIM 2.0 implementation.
UI adaption also was added with CLIM 2.0.

If you look at the comparable implementation of DW (Dynamic Windows), the
father of CLIM, it was better documented, had a better look&feel, and had
also more features in several areas.
DW's documentation is about twice as large.

CLIM was supposed to be a simplification, implemented with
CLOS (instead of New Flavors) and it should have had better performance.
Though my feeling is that DW was faster and had less bugs.

What does that mean for McCLIM? There is only little documentation,
tutorials etc.. So it needs to be written over time. Idea: integrate
some wiki mode into Climacs and write the documentation there.