[mcclim-devel] question about presentation method for pathnames

rpgoldman at real-time.com rpgoldman at real-time.com
Fri Jul 29 23:44:28 UTC 2005

The presentation method for pathnames is defined this way:

(define-presentation-method present (object (type pathname) stream
				     (view textual-view)
				     &key acceptably for-context-type)
  (declare (ignore acceptably for-context-type))
  (princ object stream))

At least in one app I've been working on, when I make the default for
accepting be a LISP pathname, the system displays the s-expression
form, rather than a more intuitive "real" Unix pathname.

So I was wondering if it mightn't be better to use namestring than
princ.  But this won't work in some situations, because the pathname
might not be complete (e.g., it's a default, so it has only a
directory and a type and no filename).  I'm afraid I don't understand
pathnames (I only know enough to know that they almost never do what I
want!) well enough to understand what would be a good substitute for
princ...

Thanks,