[mcclim-devel] Presentation types, accept and the like

Timothy Moore moore at bricoworks.com
Tue Jan 18 11:11:52 UTC 2005

On Jan 15, 2005, at 8:02 PM, Anthony Juckel wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:39:35 +0100, Timothy Moore
> <moore at bricoworks.com> wrote:

> This is actually the way that I started out (using MEMBER), so perhaps
> I'll settle with that for now.  One thing about the usability though,
> it would be nice if you could navigate the dialog completely without
> using the mouse.  Currently, I have to (at least, I believe I have to)
> click on the first field, then I can type in my value and hit enter to
> move to the next, but I have to again use the mouse to click the exit
> button.

You can specify :initially-select-query-identifier to accepting-values.
Perhaps a sensible default would be the first query. I agree that it
would be nice if leaving  the last query field would exit
accepting-values and will look at implementing that behavior.

> I was looking for a pop-up menu, which is what I get with the above.
> When I click on the field to edit, a popup menu is drawn with the
> allowed values for that field.

A pop-up menu is nice. However, special effects like this should be
done with accept-present-default. There's no documentation on what
accept-present-default should do either in the CLIM spec or the Franz
user guide. I just checked in an implementation of a pop-up menu which
you can use via the climi::+pop-up-menu-view+ parameter. I also added
some documentation to dialog.lisp about the internals of
accepting-values. This should get people started on writing better
input gadgets for accepting-values. Note that this uses internals of
McCLIM and is subject to change, especially when we get around to
implementing accepting-values panes. Also, the climi internal symbols
will probably be exported from clim-extensions.

Tim