[mcclim-devel] CPU usage > 95% when running McCLIM apps

Paolo Amoroso amoroso at mclink.it
Mon Jan 3 17:08:48 UTC 2005

Robert Strandh <strandh at labri.fr> writes:

> Paolo Amoroso writes:
>  > When I run a McCLIM application, according to `top' CPU usage is
>  > constantly above 95% or so, and the KDE System Monitor reports about
[...]
> I think it has to do with CMUCL multi process implementation.  I was
> told that if you start the idle loop, then this problem will go away.

This works.  But the way the idle loop is started in CMUCL makes it
difficult to deliver applications.

If I deliver a McCLIM application containing the CMUCL executable, a
Lisp image, and a shell script that launches the executable with the
image as an argument, the high CPU usage is still there.  Since the
multiprocessing initialization function does not return, the only way
I know of invoking it is calling MP::STARTUP-IDLE-AND-TOP-LEVEL-LOOPS
interactively.  But I can not expect users to do that: I would like to
hide the Lisp toplevel to them.

It might be possible to change CMUCL so that it always starts the idle
loop.  If this is not done by default, there may be some stability
issues.  But this is probably best discussed in the CMUCL mailing
list.

Paolo