[mcclim-devel] newbie niggles and whines.

David Golden david.golden at oceanfree.net
Mon Jan 3 14:51:44 UTC 2005

I played briefly with McCLIM (in CMUCL on linux) over the holidays, and
now I have a list of niggles and whines.  These are meant as
constructive minor first-impressions criticisms, I realise fully things
are still being actively developed! - McCLIM is generally quite cool.

 I don't want to clutter the bug list page with them as several are
vague and not necessarily bugs, but because I start work again tomorrow
and probably won't have time to follow any up until next xmas or
something, here follows brain dump for others to pick up on, or not:

1. Listener (shows symptoms anyway, problem may lie deeper):  Super-key
handling is broken? super key presses are detected, but any mouse
movement or button press first seems to cancel the super key, thus
making it impossible to use e.g. s-L

Xev shows X isn't at fault (I think) - can anyone confirm?

2. Listener: Tab key  Completion.   Completes after tab when you enter
two or more characters, but puts in some sort of a  "[]"
nonprinting-character sign after one?   Similarly, space-key completion
doesn't after one character, only completes after two?  Presumably this
behaviour is a bug rather than a feature.

3. Listener: Completion - showing possibilities? like bash, or just by
dropping down a keyboard-navigable variant of the right click menu?

4. Listener: deletion on the command line.  Probably a feature that's
coming just not implemented. Once the listener displays the e.g. "Show
Class Subclasses (class)" , you can't "go back" with the backspace key
anymore - it just outputs "(class)" again.

5. Listener: ability to "press enter" with the mouse? Huh? you say -
well, it's like this - the last thing I select for a one-arg command is
often something I click with the mouse (or in my case stylus,
actually...).   - maybe the current command line should be clickable to
perform the action if it becomes valid, like previous command lines are
once they're done once.  While this might be computationally somewhat
expensive, people have absurdly fast computers these days.

6. (whine) Text Selection. Yes, I realise it's a brand-new feature. But
wouldn't it be nicer to use click v.s. drag discrimination rather than
the unusual shift-key? i.e. if the mouse moves more than 10 pixels
over the text while the LMB is down, assume it's a highlight action
rather than a click action? (Of course, there's also drag-drop to worry
about).

7. (wishlist note)  Accessibility or at least keyboard gadget
navigation...

8. (whine/opinion) Dialogs. "exit" and "abort" to me don't seem strongly
differentiated enough - exit really doesn't say to me "exit and use
these values".  Yes, they're in the spec as the defaults (which is
probably enough to decide it, I guess...), but  e.g. "Accept" (or
"Okay" or "Use") / "Cancel" would be so much more in-line with modern
usage.

9.  Look-and-feel:  Antialiased fonts on linux by default.  Yes, XRENDER
etc. lowlevel support belongs in clx distribution, not McCLIM - but if
it is available, McCLIM should really default to it at this stage on
linux, IMHO.  Again, this is probably planned, but hey.