[mcclim-devel] selections

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 9 09:47:47 UTC 2005

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that there are at least some problems still
outstanding with X select-and-paste?  If so, people affected may be
interested to try changing the implementation of BIND-SELECTION in
Backends/CLX/port.lisp to
  (defmethod bind-selection ((port clx-port) window &optional time)
    (xlib:set-selection-owner
     (xlib:window-display (sheet-direct-mirror window))
     :primary (sheet-direct-mirror window) time))
where the new bit is passing TIME down to XLIB:SET-SELECTION-OWNER.

The CLX manual has this to say about it:

   NOTE: Standard conventions for inter-client communication require
   that a non-nil time must be specified. If possible, the time should
   be the time of a user event which initiated the change of
   ownership. Alternatively, a timestamp can be obtained by calling
   change-property to append zero-length data to some property; the
   timestamp in the resulting :property-notify event can then be used.

I have no idea why, nor indeed whether this will fix any open
problems.

Cheers,

Christophe