[mcclim-devel] [Christophe Rhodes] [Sbcl-devel] PCL depessimization

Anthony Juckel ajuckel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 15:15:05 UTC 2005

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 15:45:35 +0000, Christophe Rhodes <csr21 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tim Moore suggested that this might be of interest -- I'd certainly be
> interested in hearing reports from anyone who tries mcclim with sbcl
> and the attached patch.

I tried Climacs out with this patch applied last night, and am very
happy to report that it worked as advertised.  In my prior testing of
Climacs, I found that the buffer display would lag quite noticably
behind my keystrokes, even at rather moderate typing speeds.  With
this patch applied to sbcl, the lag was extremely moderate.

More specifically, on my Athlon XP 1800+ (1.5 GHz), running Climacs on
the unpatched SBCL would result in delays of up to half a second when
typing rapidly.  On the other hand, once this patch was applied, the
lag became almost imperceptible, and in fact I may be imagining it.  I
haven't done any more extensive testing that simply compiling McCLIM
and Climacs, and editing, saving and loading a simple text file.  The
patch applied cleanly to HEAD (I didn't try applying it to 0.8.19..I'm
not sure if there would be a conflict), and I had no problems building
and no errors when running the application.

Good work, Christophe!

Anthony W. Juckel