[mcclim-devel] One char patch to presentation-defs

C Y smustudent1 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 01:27:26 UTC 2005

--- Robert Strandh <strandh at labri.fr> wrote:

> C Y writes:
>  > Perhaps you could consider your work on McCLIM to be the necessary
>  > preliminary work for Climacs/Gsharp? ;-)
>
> Nice try :-)

It was worth a shot :-P

> Yes, I think so.  I mean, McCLIM is quite stable (in the sense that
> it is not crashing) and usable.  The main problem for Gsharp is that
> I have had to write more code than I would have wanted to get around
> current problems with McCLIM.  Of course, at some point, it becomes
> more advantageous to fix McCLIM than to write workarounds.

Ah, OK.

> There are of course many ways of integrating the code and the spec.
> There are places in the current code with references to the spec, but
> I am guessing you want to go further than that.  I am not sure I see
> how such integration would have a major impact on the maintainability
> of the code, though.

Well, it's more a case of convenience, but the psychology is good too -
when you write a piece of code the text describing the purpose of the
code is right there for reference/documentation, and if you need to
update the spec due to code enhancements it's again right there.  It's
the whole "literate programming" thing.  I know actions speak louder
than words on such things though :-/.

Cheers,
CY