[mcclim-devel] Re: [Sbcl-devel] Would McCLIM benefit from this pretty printer patch for CMUCL/SBCL?

Raymond Toy raymond.toy at ericsson.com
Thu Aug 4 16:45:16 UTC 2005

    Matthias> I would be willing to work on a system of printer hooks that is
    Matthias> suitable for the purposes of SLIME and of McCLIM.  I see this as a

It would be very nice if you could do this.

    Matthias> You can test with CVS SLIME plus my SLIME patch below.

    Matthias> In SLIME, it is possible to refer to old REPL results (even
    Matthias> #<unreadable> ones) simply by copying their textual representation
    Matthias> within Emacs.  This does not require any printer patches.

    Matthias> Moreover, after the file present.lisp is loaded, it is also possible
    Matthias> to refer to (unreadable) objects that were only printed (as a side
    Matthias> effect of the computation).  Try (DESCRIBE 'STANDARD-OBJECT) and then
    Matthias> copy one of the highlighted #<unreadable> objects as new REPL input.

I tried out your patch and present.lisp (after removing the load of
cmucl-pprint-patch) using a cmucl built with your pretty-stream
annotations.  Despite some bugs in slime (possibly because I'm using
XEmacs and not Emacs), this looks really cool!  The unreadable objects
are clickable now, just like the regular output presentations.  And
since it's hooked into the pretty printer, I see that if I C-c C-k a
file, the slime repl buffer has the pathname of the file highlighted
and clickabe as well.  This didn't happen before.

This patch will be in the next snapshot of cmucl.  Thanks for the
patch!

Ray