[mcclim-devel] possible buglet in highlighting shapes

Andy Hefner ahefner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 23:36:07 UTC 2005

On 4/27/05, Duncan Rose <duncan at robotcat.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Also things like specifying an :application pane type in the :panes  of
> an application frame, passing ':scroll-bars t' but not having the pane

<grumble>
Can you find where in the spec this is required? I think this keyword
is fictional, and I'm astonished at the number of people trying to use
it. Maybe it is a vendor extension, but it doesn't make any sense to
me. Scrolling is acheived by embedding the pane in another pane which
provides scroll bars and a viewport. If I expect :scroll-bars t to
work as expected, make-pane would have to return the scroller pane
rather than the the pane I asked it to create (which makes no sense at
all), or there would have to be some magic backdoor whereby adopting
my pane caused a chain of parents to be adopted in its place. I don't
much like that either (if I was modifying the UI dynamically, with a
bunch of gadgets in a container, I'd no longer know which one to
disown when its time came without walking the entire tree of
children).

I have heard this complaint so often now that it is tempting to add a
check which will yell at programmers who expect this to work.
</grumble>