[mcclim-devel] possible buglet in highlighting shapes

rpgoldman at real-time.com rpgoldman at real-time.com
Wed Apr 27 14:39:07 UTC 2005

My thanks to all of you who pointed me at the :single-box argument for
with-output-as-presentation.  And an extra thank-you to Paolo for the
ksnapshot pointer.

A quick question, though, and this is not intended as a flame ---
is this problem a manifestation of some issues with programming
(Mc)CLIM?

My impression is that there are two challenges to programming with
McCLIM:

1.  The paradigm is radically different from any other interface
    coding framework.

    This certainly isn't a killer for me, because I happily used
    Garnet for many years (and if I understood X well enough to
    modernize its back-end, I would probably go back to it today).

2.  There seems to be an awful lot of black art to getting a CLIM UI
    to look right and behave in ways that users will perceive as
    normal.

    I don't have a good read on how much this is because McCLIM is
    still evolving, and how much this is because of the nature of the
    CLIM beast.  Do we need better defaults to make things happen more
    naturally?  How feasible would that be if we want to comply with
    the CLIM spec?  Or should we provide macrology to wrap things up
    more easily for new CLIM programmers?  I'm still fumbling around
    myself, so I find it hard to say what would make things easier,
    since I might just be doing things wrong.

Best,