[mcclim-devel] question about display functions and control apps

rpgoldman at real-time.com rpgoldman at real-time.com
Tue Dec 28 20:34:24 UTC 2004

The examples I have seen of display functions and McCLIM, it seems
like there are two dominant models: one where the user does some
commands, and the application pane's display function stays in synch
by updating at every command loop (I suppose this is the MVC model);
and another where we write code in the commands that directly display
stuff (and have to tell the application pane NOT to redisplay itself).

Question:  what about the case where you want to watch something "out
there" that is not under the control of the command loop.  I'm
thinking in particular about controls applications, where you might
want to update a display that shows the current state of the plant.
Typically, there will be some process sampling the world at some rate,
and wanting to asynchronously update the state display.  Has anyone
built an application like that using CLIM?  Any suggestions for the
right model?

Thanks!