[mac-lisp-ide] Moving forward...

mikel evins mikel at evins.net
Tue Feb 10 15:56:14 UTC 2004

On Feb 10, 2004, at 6:21 AM, Brian Mastenbrook wrote:

> Howdy folks,
>
> There hasn't been any activity here for a few days, so I'm wondering
> how people are doing - in particular I'm wondering if the McCLIM
> people found a way to start working together?

Duncan and are sharing a temporary cvs repository while we work out and
merge a couple of issues. He reports that he's got the merged code
doing what it's supposed to. I am delayed on further progress while I
do what I am paid to do instead of testing the latest changes
personally, but presuming that the last code I checked in works for
him, and the latest changes he checked in work for me, we are close to
ready to check the project into the main McCLIM repository. The McCLIM
listener is working, after a fashion, on OpenMCL and Cocoa, though it
needs further attention in several areas before anyone would really
want to use it.

> Is work on Clotho waiting on changes to the cocoa interface? This is
> the impression I got but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to start
> working on other aspects of it (debugger, inspector).

Clotho is waiting on my paying job, rather than on any further releases
from Gary, but it is true that Gary is near a new release of OpenMCL.
The new release will have a new version of the Objective C interface,
the first to provide CLOS metaclasses that make Objective C classes and
methods look like CLOS classes and methods. There is a caveat for us:
the initial release probably will make apps built on Jaguar
unlaunchable on Panther and vice-versa. There is likely to be a period,
therefore, where we really want to have both Jaguar and Panther hosts
available for building binaries (though perhaps it's early enough in
Clotho's lifespan that we can get away with sources-only releases for a
while).

I did have time to build a small library of filesystem utilities to
make the Clotho and McCLIM builds a little more robust; they are
primarily intended to make it easier to copy the darwin-interfaces into
the application bundle so that the built application is independent of
the location of those interfaces in an installed OpenMCL, and so that
it can run on a system where OpenMCL is not installed before Clotho or
McCLIM is installed. I may have some time soon to check in my changes
to the Clotho project, but there's a little integration work to do.

Oh, and Apple's Java 1.4.2 release broke both my fop installation and,
unaccountably, (perhaps indirectly), my copy of the 'open' command-line
utility, so I spent some time last night backing up, wiping my disk,
reinstalling Panther, and restoring my working environment. Joy.

I think it likely that the next thing I do will be to splice Hamilton
Link's windowing inspector into Clotho, though I also have some
McCLIM-related tasks, and I want to spend some time seeing if I can
hack up a version of portable Hemlock that works with Clotho.

And I have some work to do on the Hansa game server as well. No rest
for the weary. :-)

--me