[mac-lisp-ide] Extending clotho

Randall Beer beer at eecs.cwru.edu
Thu Feb 5 14:56:17 UTC 2004

> 5. Application Builder
> 	The way things are right now you could use Clotho+Emacs to build a
> working application in about the same way I used Bosco+Emacs to build
> Clotho. That's kind of crude and not especially Lispy, though. Better
> would be if you could launch Clotho, write a bunch of Lisp code, and
> then ask Clotho to make a new application bundle with all the right
> resource files in the bundle. Then you could build your Whizzy app in
> Clotho, ask CClotho to save Whizzy.app and, abracadabra! you would
> have a new application ready to launch. That involves writing some
> code to make the application bundle, to get names and other strings
> from the user somehow and write them into the plist files, and so on.

Might it be useful to think of a Cocoa application as a special kind of
Lisp system?  If we had a ProjectBuilder sort of GUI for working with
(ASDF or DEFSYSTEM) Lisp systems, then we could also use it to work
with Cocoa applications.  COCOA-APPLICATIONS could have additional file
types associated with them, and could also responsd to a
SAVE-COCOA-APPLICATION operation (perhaps by starting up another
OpenMCL with a command line option set to load in the specified system
and then SAVE-APPLICATION).

Randy