[ltk-user] why MAKE-INSTANCE not exported

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 10:02:29 UTC 2011

On 6/27/2011 2:30 AM, Matus Kmit wrote:
> Thanks for the swift answer.
>
> Let me correct myself: make-instance seems to be correctly exported by
> CL package (SBCL), but when i try to, let's say create an instance of
> a frame object in my user-defined package the interpreter signals a
> name colision between the FRAME symbols of LTK and my package,
> although i never defined any symbol with that name. i am simply using:
>
> (make-instance 'frame :master nil ...)
>
> i think the error refers to this "frame* class designator.. Do i have
> to qualify it somehow and if yes how does one do that?
>
> That said, i have to admit, that i am still learning how to properly
> use lisp package system.

You have not divulged which Lisp you are using. With AllegroCL, if I
open a project and happen to open a source file or two before compiling
anything, the ACL IDE interns symbols as it finds them, and does so in
my package because that is the only one it sees (well, aside from the
packages it ships with, including common lisp. But it would not know
about the LTk package until I compiled the whole project.)

Thus the solution is to start your Lisp, build your project (perhaps
with ASDF), and then start poking around.

btw, the warning you are getting probably offers a restart to "unintern
conflicting symbols" or some such and you can use that to remove the
conflicts, but there is a gotcha: any source compiled thinking the
symbol was in your package still needs to be recompiled. Uninterning
just cleans up the packages, not your FASLs.

kt