[ltk-user] dos window

Daniel Herring dherring at tentpost.com
Fri Jul 22 04:46:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011, Haris Bogdanovich wrote:

> Can opening of the dos window be avoided
> when starting a ltk application ?

With varying degrees of difficulty, probably.

Fundamentally, the appearance of the console window is a compile-time
setting.  Microsoft applications are compiled as console or GUI mode; the
OS shows the window based on this mode.

I believe the approaches were
- create a shortcut and disable the console there (near compatibility mode
info) and call that to start wish
- find a tool that can change the mode flag in wish
- find a different wish executable
- recompile wish

I was looking at this for ABLE a year or two ago.  There were a couple
related lisp-implementation-dependent issues; don't remember whether I
fixed the console problem.  I don't have any real documentation on that
effort other than what is in the list archives.  Haven't had much hacking
time this year.

Later,
Daniel