[ltk-user] First use of ltk

Greg Bennett gwbennett at sentex.ca
Fri Dec 11 14:23:25 UTC 2009

Peter, again thanks for the information and advice, and belated thanks for
creating ltk. I find the idea of using a textfield inside ltk for
interactions  with
the repl appealing; now I just have to read some more to figure out what
that
means in practice :-) !

***
Without wishing to start/continue/renew any "my lisp/OS is better than
yours" threads,
and without cluttering up the list with code from my attempts,
I remain puzzled that my experience with Allegro under Windows is so
different.

I did succeed in using  (start-wish)  followed  by some of your
examples, which left me
with a live repl .. until I wanted to get a response from eg. clicking
on a button. Activating
(mainloop) got the response, but the repl froze. C-c C-c in slime, plus
choosing option 1
did get me an repl back. Short of killing my example window, this was
the only way I
could interrupt that mainloop.

What I still missed was the possibility, for example, of testing things by
(a) using your "More complex example" with a live repl as above, and
(b) from that repl writing something like (erase-line canvas-of-example
(list ..))
     to see it disappear.

*nix graphics seem to grab control of my lisp repl in a way I am not
accustomed to,
and for which I do not have a mental model (yet).

But, after dealing with some undergraduate examinations, it's on to
trying to
obtain repl interactions via textfields and Tk events!

Cheers /Greg