[ltk-user] Just one frame?

Johnny Zackrisson jz at student.chalmers.se
Thu Apr 26 15:34:52 UTC 2007

hi.

i've tryied to play with more dynamic aspects of the
integration with ltk. now, i can use wish and fire of
'pack's for different objects, and wish will nicely
display the new object within the current frame/window.

when i try to do the same with ltk, i always get a new
window/frame with the object inside it. i don't want this
behaviour and it seems like ltk automatically adds some
extra parameters to the call. i've tried a lot of ways,
but haven't managed to get this working. there seems to
be some magic behind the "master" slot, etc, and maybe
it's the default behaviour that is my problem?

serve-event seems needed to get rid of the "main-loop"
thing (which annoys me incredibly). and while that works,
it still do not display a new object, that's been asked
to be displayed later on, within the same frame as before.

anyone know how to get this working?

by the way, i noticed that the examples is hooking into
the main-loop with "with-ltk" without further arguments
- is this just a compatibility thing for lisps without
serve-event or threads?

i've never designed guis before, but i want to "communicate"
with the gui-subsystem of my application, not get hooked
into it. i wanna say, "add this to window X now" and "add
this handler for button y", without further interruptions.
i don't want my lisp to be tight up in some -- seemingly --
very badly designed main-loop thing; i want protocol exchange
and buffered communication.

am i approaching this the wrong way?

thanks,
jz