[ltk-user] LTKtools v0.1 and threads

michael graffam mikegraffam at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 10 06:49:57 UTC 2006

Hi Peter,

Regarding your comments (I'll take them in order)..

You are right, all of this definately belongs in a
package. The original code base was not package-safe.
The inspector at that point had an LTK interface
grafted onto it, but the underlying code used literal
symbols in such a fashion that it would break when
placed in a package and used without USE-PACKAGE. This
isn't the case anymore, so I just wrapped it in a
package just now.

I do prefer to explicitly give the package name, as
in:
ltk:format-wish or whatever. It helps me 6 or 8 months
later when I've forgotten about the packages and don't
remember what is where.

The threading issue is important, however. I see no
real way to escape using threads. If the user has two
or more console windows open, the commands issued to
each have to run concurrently. But you are right, of
course, that LTK is not certain to be thread safe.
I don't believe that CMUCL will allow such string
interpolation as you describe, however. I believe
CMUCL will block a second thread from accessing *WISH*
until the first thread completes.

When I get some free time, I'll experiment with this
issue on CMUCL and SBCL and let the list know what
I've come up with.

Mike

P.S. For some reason unknown to me, I have stopped
recieving email from the ltk-user list. I am
subscribed, but no mail is getting to me. I read your
reply on the archive web page.