[ltk-user] Tk_Main

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 15:03:27 UTC 2006

Frank and I lust for OpenGL. But tcl/tk sure is handy. So:

       http://togl.sourceforge.net/ (requiring C programmin)
 and http://www.tcl3d.org/ (full Tcl scriptability)

The problem with the latter is that, even with OpenGL display lists (don't
ask) I think this is more traffic than we want to send over a pipe to get
wicked high frame rates. And with Tcl as a separate process we cannot get to
the OpenGL context from LTk.

Right now Frank is trying to get an interpreter running within CL. I sent
him some sample C code from Welch & Jones "Practical Programming in Tcl and
Tk". Just writing to ask if there is any expertise on this list for
embedding Tk.

Oh, and does this sound right? Is this a typical time when folks cross over
from using a pipe and switch to a C interface? Note that this is a middle
ground, because most work is still done by building Tcl/tk commands and
eval-ing them, but now we are running in the same process so, for example,
we can use cl-opengl to build a display list which can be invoked by a Tk
glCallList. I hope. :)

ken