[lisp-interface-library-devel] Curating libraries

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 22:48:52 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Dan Lentz <danlentz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got ctries, redblack trees, and weight-balanced trees I've been
> thinking about trying to integrate with/into LIL.  I would be proud if
> any/all of it were to be rolled into the LIL project proper.

Yes. we already have AVL trees, so redblack and weight-balanced
should be easiest to integrate in the current framework.
Could you write both the pure and stateful variants?

I have some vague ideas on how both pure and stateful data structures
could be deduced from a single specification using IPS (at compile-time?)
to distinguish between the two variants. Something like:
	(update-node! <pure?> node :left l :right r)
Would expand either to in-place modification of the node (stateful case),
or creation of a new node (pure case).
But I haven't tried anything like that yet, so please disregard
unless you're interested in experimenting yourself.

> Regarding non-concurrent structures with concurrent interface --  I'm
> probably not the most qualified to answer but if you we're to ask me I
> think that new futures library by deliciousrobot looks interesting.
> It implements  cooperative multitasking based on green threads built
> using cl-cont.

I remember doing green threads on top of arnesi, in philip-jose.
It was great. I should definitely contact deliciousrobot at some point
and send him my code in case he's missing anything, so we can declare
philip-jose dead and consolidate.

> My access to email is sporadic over the next day or so.  Everyone here
> in South Jersey is hunkered down in anticipation of the hurricane.

No problem. Take your time, and be safe!

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
        — Dale Carnegie