[lisp-game-dev] Hello

Sampo Vuori sampo at vuoret.net
Sat Nov 17 17:36:39 UTC 2007

> Yeah. I believe my stuff is licensed GPL. It needs to be the Lisp Lesser GPL and
> I'll correct it one day soon. My only goal with licensing is to protect my free
> time work from pillaging by commercial entities. Well that and share my work
> with others. If you found my MUD and didn't like the license I might be obliged
> to change it.
Well, I'm a free software enthusiast and I'm not put off by GPL, that
comment was mainly aimed at those custom-made weird licenses which
plagued the mud drivers/libraries in the nineties.

In this case though I think it'd be good to have llgpl mud driver and
keep the actual game rules and 'data' a bit more closed. Just to
prevent players from spoiling the fun from themselves and keep the joy
of exploring in the game.

> You know it might not be bad to scale down my objectives and just get a plain
> MUD for reference purposes then build my alternative rogue/diku game off of
> that. The problem is that the rogue world is so different from a MUD's world.
> I've seen efforts in the past to convert MUDs to more roguish like games and it
> generally isn't pretty.
Yup, I'd like to make a plain regular mud (with number of fresh twists
of course =) but no mixing across game types. Keeping the driver as a
separate project would be a good thing as well. This way people could
be writing their own rules/worlds but still all would benefit from bug
fixes and advancements of the driver.

> For reference I played Sojourn, Duris, Toril. I've hacked some on the Duris
> codebase and helped out a bit with Greymud/greycode. This is all C programming.
> I did see a MUD that a woman wrote in Common Lisp. It was pretty much a Duris
> replica she made in approximately 3 months of free time.
I played a lot of LPMUDs was a wizard in a few and still do like them
in general.

> I'm down for hacking. I still want to try out multiple common lisp developers
> using multiple swank/slime connectors. heh...
Does that work? =) It'd be great to have main devs connect via swank
and maybe builders etc. use a bit lesser interface :P

- Sampo