[iolib-devel] Re: Liberating cffi-grovel

Sean rosssd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 16:35:52 UTC 2007

> >As far as features go number one would be the ability to specify a
> >default generated lisp file if, for example, the specified compiler is
> >not available or compilation fails (which given that most people don't
> >have many headers available on Windows system could be quite useful).
> I don't understand, what do you accomplish this way ?

well, currently to grovel the constants on win32 for sockets you will
need to have at least 3 header files available.
(include "winsock2.h")
(include "WTYPES.h")
(include "ws2tcpip.h")

I wouldn't expect a reasonable socket library for CL to require you to
have a C compiler and the appropriate header files downloaded from MS
(IIRC the full download is 100MB or so, or a while trying to find the
correct header files) in order to be compiled and loaded.

Granted this problem is mainly a windows one but I think that's a
platform that should be targeted.

Cheers,
 Sean.

--
...Please don't assume Lisp is only useful for Animation and Graphics,
AI, Bioinformatics, B2B and E-Commerce, Data Mining, EDA/Semiconductor

Kent Pitman.