[imp-hackers] Another topic: ANSI standard test suite

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 29 12:12:19 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Sam Steingold<sds at gnu.org> wrote:
> the common test suite should test for common features, i.e., those
> features which are either ansi standard or a result of a wide
> consensus.

Even with a consensus, there are various implementation dependent
behaviors and they have to be conformant. For instance, external
formats are allowed in streams, and we expect streams to behave
properly when those formats are used. Hence, some tests will have to
be run using the :external-format argument and a value that is going
to be implementation dependent. If we do not test that, then we will
be missing part of the specification: conformance when some of the
values takes implementation-defined values.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)