[imp-hackers] cl-ext:exit

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 10 15:19:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Sam Steingold<sds at gnu.org> wrote:
>> * What is the behaviour wrt. multiple threads if they exist? Should
>> EXIT always exit all threads? (I'm inclined to say yes.)
>
> of course.

Not so evident. I would provide this function ALSO with the
possibility of exiting only the current thread..

>> * Behavious wrt. nested exits: what should happen if EXIT is caled
>> again while unwinding or running exit-hooks.
>
> treat it as abort()

I am not sure this makes sense: ignore unless the user really uses :abort t

>> In my mind this would live in package CL-EXT
>
> why not just EXT?

Because prefixed names are interesting in order to let the user with
greater freedom.

Summing up my thoughts, I would suggest also a couple of things:

- Allowing per-thread exit hooks
- Adding QUIT the semantics of just exiting a thread. Useful for
library functions.
- Normalizing the name of the exit hooks variable.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)