[imp-hackers] cl-ext:exit

Jean-Claude Beaudoin jean.claude.beaudoin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 17:36:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <
juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Raymond Toy<raymond.toy at stericsson.com>
> wrote:
> > Perhaps a bit off-topic, bug having never used any kind of exit hook,
> > I'd like to know what people actually use them for.  What do you use the
> > exit hooks for?
>
> Deleting temporary files, cleaning up, unloading libraries in a clean
> way, closing connections to other programs (tcl, etc)... All sort of
> mess that builds up along the program, has to stay alive for the whole
> life of it and has to be cleaned up.

It is usually the purpose in life of unwind-protect to take care of these
kind
of things for everything but the very global ones. That is why I think it is
essential to properly state the execution order relationship between stack
unwinding upon thread termination and the sequence of *exit-hooks*.
As far as I can read the clisp documentation seems silent on this point, is
it not?
The dynamic context of execution of the *exit-hooks* is also left
unspecified.
I hope I am not obscure or irrelevant here, am I?

Jean-Claude Beaudoin