[imp-hackers] cl-ext:exit

Sam Steingold sds at gnu.org
Thu Jul 2 15:46:47 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Juan Jose
Garcia-Ripoll<juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:

> ECL's EXT:*EXIT-HOOKS* does the same, but first the point is not so
> much showing that my implementation does this, but agreeing in a
> reasonable naming and functionality beyond current hacks.

I did not know that other implementations had the same variable.
in that case, I guess, we already have a de facto standard. :-)

> For instance, is there a way to exit without calling the exit hooks?

sure - just reset *exit-hooks* to nil before calling exit.

> Does it make sense to add that functionality to QUIT?

sure, why not?

> Should exit hooks really reside in a special variable?

why not?
the alternative is to have a heavyweight interface like
add-exit-hook
remove-exit-hook
get-exit-hooks
clear-exit-hooks
which amounts to the same thing.

> What about then with accidental thread local bindings?

this should not be a thread-local variable.

> Or if a user cleans up the variable?

if the user wants to shoot himself, it is his responsibility to were armor.

--
Sam Steingold <http://sds.podval.org>