[hyperspec-lookup-devel] Hyperdoc integration with hyperspec-lookup

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Thu Dec 25 17:41:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

wanting to try hyperdoc, I found a patch for hyperspec-lookup in hyperdoc.

Here are my questions:

  1. (question for Erik, as hyperspec-lookup maintainer:)

     hyperspec-lookup doesn't build unless the hyperspec is already
     installed, because it looks for files in /usr/.

     Would it be possible to commit the diff in hyperdoc, which simply
     adds Map_Sym.txt to the distribution, allowing hyperspec-lookup to
     build and function without a local installation of the hyperspec as
     a pre-requisite?

     A patch is here: http://repo.or.cz/w/hyperspec-lookup.git?a=commitdiff;h=f79a65bcb96262532ecba1875572661dafa3e7c2

     This would be important for me, because I'd like my projects to
     depend on hyperdoc, which depends on hyperspec-lookup, and I
     believe that the user experience would suffer a lot if
     asdf-install failed on all computers that don't happen to have the
     Debian package `hyperspec' installed.

  2. (question for Nikodemus, who wrote hyperspec-lookup.patch:)

     There's another part in that diff which adds a hyperdoc-lookup
     function to the HS package, but actually looks up CL symbols.  I
     didn't apply this part, because I could not understand its purpose.
     It also seems outdated: hyperdoc currently passes only two arguments,
     not three.  Is this part important?

  3. (question for Nikodemus and/or Rudi, who seems to be the only
     person with actual commit access to hyperdoc on common-lisp.net)

     Even after changing the above, lookup of CL symbols through
     hyperdoc didn't work for me, because introspective lookup signals
     an error on packages without hyperdoc support, so lookup can't fall
     through to the hyperspec-lookup case.

     I changed this locally.

     Patch: http://repo.or.cz/w/hyperdoc.git?a=commitdiff;h=03638747a633caec1034a423732292e5e23eed4e

To get things running, I made git mirrors of the two projects and
committed my changes there.  Would it be possible to commit the changes
upstream?

http://repo.or.cz/w/hyperspec-lookup.git
http://repo.or.cz/w/hyperdoc.git

Thanks,