[gzip-stream-devel] read-line

Sean Ross sean at guruhut.com
Wed Aug 2 20:55:56 UTC 2006

Alexey Goldin wrote:
> Apparently read-line is not available yet. On sbcl:
>
> (with-open-gzip-file (s "text.gz") (read-line s))

Yeah, unfortunately the gzip-streams have an element-type of
'(unsigned-byte 8) and as such I didn't implement read-line on them,
i assumed (poorly) that there would be a more readable error than
no such applicable method.

as a workaround for now you should be able to use Edi Weitz's
excellent flexi-streams <http://cliki.net/flexi-streams> to
enable read-line usage.

eg.
(gzip-stream:with-open-gzip-file (s "e:/dapper.htm.gz")
   (setf s (flexi-streams:make-flexi-stream s))
   (read-line s))

This will be addressed sometime in the future.

Cheers,
  Sean.