[GSLL-devel] added basic fft to my dataframes

Mirko Vukovic mirko.vukovic at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 02:53:55 UTC 2013

In preparation for experiments that start tomorrow, I added today
real-array fft and power spectrum capabilities to my dataframe code.  It
uses GSLL's fft functions (search for file fft.lisp).  The classes, generic
functions, and methods are still a bit rough, and will be refined.

You can read more about it:
https://github.com/mirkov/data-table/blob/master/user/example1/README.org

That same directory contains examples-w-fft.lisp that shows the code
usage.  I annotated the code.

The png files show sunspot data and two power spectra.

The example shows how I create one data-table with raw data, and then
another one with slightly massaged data.  I do the fft on the latter one.

The example also shows that the current syntax is `functional' vs
`declarative'. I explicitly  build the second data table, instead of
declaring its dependency on the first table.  I think that the latter
approach is preferable from a user's point of view.  But I will refrain
from trying to design and implement this declarative approach.  I need more
real-world experience before trying to do this.

I may add windowing capability to the fft code later on.

Mirko