[GSLL-devel] making copy-to working in clisp+grid: fix to element-type

Liam Healy lhealy at common-lisp.net
Thu Dec 26 01:07:53 UTC 2013

Your solution is not a good one, because if a general array is passed to
copy-to it will cause an error if all the elements are not the same type as
the first one. For example, (copy-to #(1.0d0 1)) will behave incorrectly.
By the way, your example with #(1d0 2d0) fails on SBCL as well, and should
fail everywhere because #( ) is making a general (T) array. It is
unfortunate that CLISP apparently does not have specialized arrays, but the
proper solution is to use a different function.

The correct solution when copying from a general array is to explicitly
specify the element-type. This capability is provided by the function #'copy
(copy #(1d0 2d0) :grid-type 'grid:foreign-array :element-type 'double-float)

The function #'copy-to is provided merely as a convenient shortcut to using
#'copy which works in many situations. The solution to your problem is to
use copy with explicit element-type instead of copy-to. After debating
whether to eliminate copy-to, I have added another optional argument,
element-type, that defaults to *default-element-type*, and this should fix
your problem. However, it is meant only as a convenience for interactive
code, it should really not be put into files relying on the default value
specials which may be changed. So I have also removed its use in GSLL
itself. This change is untested and made in 86671c4ef057, which is in the
multiple-systems branch and will be merged into master  soon.

I have added antik-devel to this email because this an Antik issue and has
nothing to do with GSLL.