[GSLL-devel] Antik, a Common Lisp system that provides a foundation for scientific and engineering computation

Liam Healy lhealy at common-lisp.net
Thu Aug 18 03:22:02 UTC 2011

Hello GSLLers,

Over the past eight months or so, I have been working on a new Lisp system
to provide common definitions useful for a variety of scientific and
engineering computing.  It is called "Antik" and it is now ready to be used
by others.  Though I say "new", in reality, much of it is old, as it is
composed of two parts: one are the grid and foreign-array modules that were
already required by GSLL (and formerly supplied by the GSD repository), and
the other consist of several modules, most of which I have written over the
past decade or more and used myself but never made public.  These include
elementary generic mathematical functions, physical dimension quantities
(i.e., computation with units), and simplified interfaces to some GSLL
functions.  There are other, less well developed modules, such as one to
help organize computation, that I hope will get more complete in the
future.  There is detailed documentation for the mature parts of Antik.  The
homepage for Antik is http://www.common-lisp.net/project/antik/.

Because Antik has all the grid definitions from GSD, GSLL now uses Antik
instead of GSD, and GSD is now obsolete.   The grid definitions are for the
most part the same as before, with a few changes.  First, grid:aref is
preferred to grid:gref for grid element access, though the latter is still
supported.  The reader macro #m by default expands to generate CL arrays,
but this can easily be changed to expanding to foreign arrays by changing
grid:*default-grid-type*, which GSLL does on loading.

Since GSLL needs the grid and foreign-array modules, and most GSLL users are
interested in broader scientific computing tasks than just GSL, I thought I
would let you know about Antik via this mailing list.   If you load GSLL
using git, you will need to load Antik from the git repository (see
http://repo.or.cz/w/antik.git).  If you load GSLL using quicklisp, you will
need to wait a bit until the next update, which should automatically bring
in the right systems.

An independent change to GSLL is that there is no longer a separate system
gsll-tests that needs to be loaded.  Instead, the tests are defined by an
asdf-system-connections system, so that if gsll and lisp-unit are both
loaded (in either order), the tests will be defined.

When convenient, please switch to the new GSLL and Antik.  Your comments are
welcome; there is a mailing list for Antik at
http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/antik-devel.

Liam